Monday 6 May 2013

Bank Holiday Chaos...

Today was the hottest day in the UK so far this year. I decided it would be nice to fill a small pool with water for my kids to splash about in. Sensibly my 8 year old and 4 year old daughters change into their swimming costumes and head outside. My son decided he would rather like to bathe fully clothed in the pool. He immersed himself and began thrashing about and squealing away happily.

He didn't understand that those clothes were dripping wet and he would leave puddles wherever he walked. He somehow managed to soak the back door step just standing there staring at his reflection in the glass...I decided he was not going to walk through the house with those drenched clothes, I would instead put them straight into the washing machine.

Telling my son these plans, he stands on the back door step glaring at me for a good minute or so and then piped up "It's the wet step" (referring to the sodden doorstep). "Why do I call it the wet step?" and before I could answer he had stripped all of the clothes off and launched them at me.

What would have been 1 person needing a change of clothes instantly became 2. Relishing in the freedom of being nude my son bounced into the living room, slipping on the laminate flooring. Like any mother, upon hearing the thud of my child's bony body hitting the deck, I turned into a superhero...racing to the scene ready to examine the wounds. I arrived to find my son in a heap on the floor...he is quiet..my heart in my mouth until I notice he is actually looking under the sofa at something. No injuries, I relax. My son gets to his feet and declares to me that the sofa has been moved because he could see the dent in the floor where it was before. He demanded I put it back there. To prevent a meltdown, I do.

The evening is drawing in and although the girls are ready to sleep, my son is not. He has been upstairs arranging his clothes, curtains, bedding and toys for the last 2 hours....I sense it could be a long night since he has school in the morning and this day has threw his routine out of the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment